Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Uhh...

I don't usually comment on Gunpla box art, I typically admire the more beautiful boxes and grant the others a fleeting glance. This box art for the forthcoming MG Exia Dark Matter is uninspiring to be kind. Rather than the focus being mobile suit, my eyes are constantly drawn to the floating rocks which seem to be CG rather than illustrations and much worse for the choice. When my eyes do stray they are drawn to the ice sword which looks like it's misting and nothing like it's emanating deadly frost. Where are the ice particles to convey it's purpose? Another problem I have is with the pink text on the box, yuck. I have not seen many cases where the HG box art was superior to the MG box art but this is one of those cases.


It's a slight win but a win all the same.



If I'm going to be honest this mobile suit design never really spoke to me, not even in the anime. I liked the concept of the Amazing Exia, as that suit seemed perfect for the concept of build fighters. When Dark Matter appeared if felt like Bandai/Sunrise were mailing it in on the design. With all that said I do intend to grab this kit eventually but there is no chance it maintains it's original colors. What do you guys think of the box art, leave your feedback in the comments below. You can also see further images here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment