Tuesday, February 10, 2015

HG Try Burning Gundam

So far I'm mostly enjoying Gundam Build Fighters Try, though not nearly as much as the previous Gundam Build Fighters series, but enough to anticipate the new episodes which air every Wednesday on Youtube. That said I've been largely unimpressed by most of the Gunpla in this show. While I understand the Build Fighters franchise largely exists for the same reasons Transformers existed in the days before it became Michael Bay explosion-fests (I can't that's too subtle I dislike the Transformers films), it still seems weird that there would be so few interesting Gundam design and few if any would belong to the heroes.


A bit of housekeeping before we go any further, this is not a review of the model kit which I do not own. Rather it is the inspired opinion of the design based on internet pictures, which continues after the break.


In this bloggers opinion the Build Burning is not one of those kits. From the very beginning Kamiki Sekai's mobile suit has underwhelmed me. With the Try Burning Bandai has, through a small bit of effort done much to remedy this and in so doing greatly improved the look of this model kit.





While the designers didn't change much, the changes that were made make for a much improved mobile suit - although I'll never get used to the idea of this thing flying about without a backpack. The white shoulder armor has been trimmed down and larger blue pieces have been fitted beneath it. The forearms now have pieces of blue plastic in place of armor, as do the cockpit, skirt and calves. These changes all combines for some rather nice color separation and make the kit far more interesting than before.



The Try Burning also comes with a bit more fire for the shoulders, hips and forearms, as well as a red piece for the cockpit. Interestingly enough the Phoenix accessories that seems so perfect for this kit is actually an LBX accessory, can't help but wonder whether Bandai is going to commit to making a proper Phoenix for the Try Burning?

Will I be picking this kit up, not at all. However, when this kit is granted a MG release I expect it'll make my list - I much prefer MG kits - as it stands I do think it's a pretty large improvement over the preceding Build Burning and grants the hero team their first interesting MS since the discarded Powered GM Cardigan.  If any of you pick one of these up, GunplAfrica would love to see your pictures and hear your opinions.

All images courtesy of Supreme Mecha and Gundam Guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment